Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yoga with Ellie: Dog Yoga that's Something Different

Yoga citta vritti nirodha:Yoga is the ability to focus the mind on a chosen object, without distraction. (Reflections on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, T.K.V. Desikachar).

Ellie can be intensely focused, on her toys, on the cats, on passing bicyclists, on dogs far in the distance. In turn, I have to be intensely focused on Ellie's behavior, ready for that 'clickable' moment that rewards Ellie for turning that focus towards me - changing her object of focus.

She does that, and the intensity of the focus ratchets downward as well. I'm still not nearly as interesting her as that passing stranger. Do I want, or need, to be 'the cat'?

Lots of mulling, and many hours, Ellie is helping me develop what it means to be in the Yoga of Relationship with a dog who doesn't understand relationship, whose life has been about, well, we don't know.

Hasta luego. We'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment