Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dog Walk Meditation - The Real Deal


Ellie's walks tend to be rather exciting. She directs all of her attention and subsequent energies outward, towards anything that moves. I might as well be a post, and she'd really rather I wasn't there, or, at least, that's my take on it.

Today I tried something different. I'm committed to training in The Yoga Way, which requires a different languaging from me, and checking in with my own habits. I realized that I need to adjust the way that I use the dog training technique known as 'racetracking', where dog and person move in a circle, person as 'moveable post', until the dog self-manages.

What if, instead of calling this racetracking, I call it Walking Companion Meditation? How does that change the way that I view what is happening, and how might that affect Ellie's behavior? How does Walking Companion Meditation affect my expectations and how do my expectations affect the outcome of these training walks?

No comments:

Post a Comment